Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Garnets are pretty too!

Today was my 37 week appointment. After meeting with the nurse for my BP, weight, etc., I found myself waiting in the exam room. Bored, I emailed a coworker friend this:

9:55 am "Just did my prelim stuff with nurse. Bp, weight, kidneys, blood, everything
looks great. Very healthy pregnancy. NO chance of inducing any time soon :(
waiting on doc"

The doctor came in, checked out my Fred Flintstone feet (they are enormous), measured my belly (measuring 40 weeks -- 3 ahead), and listened to her heart (130ish). He examined me and told me I was 2 cm dilated. We then had a conversation...
My next emails to my coworker friend said this:

10:21 am "$%&*. He wants to induce tonight. I said I want to wait."

10:51 am "We are going to wait. I have to see other doc on fri. Other doc may induce then."

So what happened? Given baby's size, my swelling, blood pressure, and the doctor's impending trip to a medical conference, my doctor gave me the option of being admitted tonight and inducing tomorrow or waiting it out at the risk of being induced Friday or next week under the care of his back up doctor.
All of these thoughts rushed through my head...Our crazy weekend (Graham's party, my shower, Garn's birthday party, friends in from out of town, etc), some big deliverables at work, our house not being clean, shower thank you notes not written, etc.
I told him I wasn't ready and he was okay with that. I guess that's one of the first big parenting decisions I had to make!! He contacted his back up doctor and I have to see him Friday and again Tuesday.
I'm much closer to being ready than I was at 10:00 am this morning, but definitely have some big goals for this week. We've lined up someone to clean the house, I reprioritized things at work, and have big plans for a night of thank you note writing. I'll be ready next time!
The other part of the day that was so funny to me is that a coworker friend's wife was in the office at the same time. She's due a week after me and was there for her weekly appointment. It was funny because I never saw her, but could hear her and she could hear me. After a follow up convo with the doc and the nurse, I got a text from Ellen saying "CALL ME" and I knew she'd heard. It was really funny. I got to go to lunch with Ellen and Walter and they helped bring me out of my shock. God bless Walter for having lunch with two griping women who are 9 months pregnant.
I'm not sure if I'll have her this week or in 3 weeks, but if you bought an amethyst, you might want to save the receipt so you can trade it in for a garnet!

No comments: