Wednesday, January 13, 2010

36 Week Appointment (or is it 39 weeks?)

Today was my 36 week appointment. The doctor had scheduled an ultrasound at the last appointment because her size was measuring bigger than her due date. We were excited about the opportunity to sneak a peek of her!

The appointment was chaotic...lots of kids and families in the waiting room and the receptionist told me it would be a long wait. Urgh. No where to sit even! Every few minutes they'd call me back for something...to update insurance, to pay for my prenatal care, to check blood pressure, to do urine test, etc. I was up and down and nearly worn out. They finally called us into the ultrasound room after being there an hour and a half.

The first thing he did was measure my fundal height. That was 39 weeks...3 ahead. He then started the ultrasound. She was moving lots for him and practicing her breathing. I now know that what causes me pain are her arms, legs, and feet. Her head is down and in the right place. It's measuring 38 weeks 5 days. Then he checked her stomach. It measured 39 weeks. Then he measured some bones...39 weeks. Then my fluid, there was tons, but he said it wasn't above the normal range. It was just enough to make me more uncomfortable. He did a little calculation and they estimated her to be 7 lbs 10 ounces. WITH FOUR WEEKS TO GO!!!

I told him my schedule was clear to have her tonight and he said he wouldn't induce until 39 weeks. Well, didn't all my measurements say 39 weeks? I had to at least ask!

My weight has stayed the same and actually gone down a little since 2 weeks ago. That's probably because it's painful to eat or have anything on my stomach!

I define Wednesday, January 6 as the day I went from uncomfortable to miserable. I've crossed back into uncomfortable for a few days, but today is definitely a miserable day. At least we got to see our baby girl (and yes, he still thinks it's a girl)!

I'm so ready for this baby. My checklist is getting shorter and shorter. In the past 24 hours we've crossed off the following:
-- Sent in hospital and short term disability paperwork
-- Take breastfeeding class (Graham is husband of the year for sitting through that)
-- Purchased our video camera
-- Selected a pediatrician
-- Installed carseat

We are still waiting on some stuff for the nursery (bedding, curtains) and need to hang pics. Other than that we are ready!!

No comments: