Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Where will Success live now?

If you find out where Success is going, let me know and I might move there. Wondering what I'm talking about? I'm referring to these two water towers. The Gwinnett twin towers if you will.


They are to be torn down soon. Something about progress and newer technology. Blah blah blah. These towers have welcomed me back into Gwinnett for 30 years. I even remember when they used to be painted a pale-bluish green! On the way home from Snooks and Dee Daddy's house in Sandy Springs, we'd always pass these and I knew it meant we were getting close to home. In fact, these might be the first phrases I could read. "GWINNETT IS GREAT." "SUCCESS LIVES HERE". It doesn't get more simple than (and true) than that. I'm sure many OTP visitors have seen the water towers and wondered if these were to signify leaving civilization. Seeing these towers was comforting on my many drives home from Georgia Tech. Home wasn't far. My freshman roommate Staci and I had plenty of laughs about these signs over the years. She emailed me today asking me where success is going to live now. I'm really not sure!
What's next? First they say Pluto isn't a planet. WHAT? Now, they take away my cheerful water towers. Pretty soon I bet Snellville will lose it's title of, "Where Everybody is Somebody." I just can't believe my poor child will have to enter a world where they don't know that Gwinnett is Great or that Success Lives here. Shame. Shame.

No comments: