Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quick < 3 update

I had my echo today at St. Joseph's. I don't know the results since I haven't met with my doctor, but I was able to get the tech to tell me that my EF (ejection fraction) was 50-55. It's at the low end of the normal range, but it is indeed still normal and we'll take it!

I also mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I'd be getting a holter monitor. I had been dreading this because I knew it would be a bunch of cords and I heard it would be *gasp* in a fanny pack. I was a little concerned about Audrey pulling at the leads for the 21 days I had to wear it.

I was actually very impressed with this little unit. Yes, the leads and cords were bulky, but the monitor itself was small (about the size of a pager) and could be attached to one of the leads and patched onto my stomach. It also came with a blackberry-ish cellphone that I had to wear on my person instead of the *gasp* fanny pack. [Quick digression -- when G and I started dating, I made fun of him for wearing his big bulky Nextel phone on a clip on his hip. Payback is a you-know-what.] Anyway, all I had to do was change the batteries every 48 hours and replace the lead pads each time I showered. I got this!

Well, you know I always screw stuff up. That stupid phone fell off my hip at 3 times before I got home. Once, it hit the garage floor and came apart. About an hour later I got a phone call from the doctor's office. They'd been contacted by the monitoring company. Busted. I knew I was in trouble for dropping it already...Whoops! Anyway, they were calling me to tell me that my insurance actually won't cover the monitor so I have to mail it back tomorrow. It's probably better that way. That thing was not going to last long in my hands!

That was all after I'd taken this beaut of a self portrait for the ole blog. At least 2 of the leads were visible outside of my top. The rest of the equipment was bulky enough to show through my pale pink top.

Funny story...my friend Mandy was at St. Joseph's recovering from heart surgery and I went by to visit her after my appointment. I got turned around when I was leaving and ended up at the surgical elevator (you know the one NOT meant for the general public). I got in the elevator with some doctor/nurse/administrator looking person in a white coat. They stared at me the whole way down. At first I thought it was because I shouldn't have been in that elevator. Then I thought it was because my leads were showing. Finally it dawned on me that they thought I was a crazy heart patient trying to escape from the hospital.

Have a good night!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: