On Friday I bid farewell to Merial and all of the friends I've made in 3 1/2 years. It was such a great place to work and I think about how much I've grown since I went to work there. I was living with Mom and Dad and dating Graham when I started working there. I was babysitting a nearly 13 month old Hannah the day they made the offer. She was crawling all over the place trying to go up the stairs as I negotiated the details. Today I'm married and have my own 14 month old who is trying to crawl up the stairs as we speak. I don't live with the parents now either!
If you would have predicted this is where I'd be in 3 1/2 years I would have laughed. If you told me I'd be leaving my dream company to go work in the non-profit industry I'd think you were crazy. If you told me, a person who ate well, exercised, and was healthy that I'd have a heart problem I wouldn't have believed you. Well, those things all led me here to this moment.
Leaving Merial was bittersweet. As with every other event at Merial, we celebrated. There was a lunch with the department, other good bye lunches with friends, and a farewell reception. I called my friend Donna who took over most of my job responsibilities on Monday, and could quickly tell she didn't need me. The sky wasn't falling. Not even a little bit. There was no looking back.
But just as quickly as Merial stopped needing me, the new job unofficially started with an email. My new friend and coworker Mandy, sent out an email asking for people with survivor stories to apply to be heart walk ambassadors for 2011. She forwarded the response of a woman who collapsed at home shortly after returning from giving birth. Her diagnosis? Post Partum Cardiomyopathy. For me this is affirmation I'm doing the right thing. We've got lunch scheduled and just as quickly as one door shut a new one opened.
I've never met anyone who had the same condition (I've read it affects as few as 1 in 10,000 pregnancies). My OB has only seen one. Me. I've only seen one. Me. I've looked for support groups and only found people in other cities through an online forum, A Mother's Heart. This is just a start. I'm so excited about where the Lord has led me. I have so much hope for this job and the places it will take me personally and professionally. There is so much I feel like I can do. I wish I could end this post neatly and tie it up in a nice little bow for you, but this story isn't over yet. It's just beginning. p.s. For those who only read for Audrey stories and pictures, I've got something for you coming up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That's exciting and all, but post some pictures of Audrey ;)
I am so proud of you for following your heart ;)
Oh, I'm proud of you and wish you the best of luck with the new job. I know you will bring much to the table. Hope you are enjoying your week off and my baby is having fun too. Love you
So happy that you've found your calling! And Whitney's comment totally made me laugh out loud. =o)
Hi Laurel,
I am honored and grateful to have heard your story. When I was crying in my hospital bed because I could not continue to nurse my new baby due to the medications prescribed to treat my weakened heart, I told God if he saw me out of my slump I would be indebted to service and sharing his awesomeness with others who are in a slump or in our case having unexpected heart failure. I can't wait to share our stories with one another and hear what advocacy or campaign ideas you might have to combat this form of heart disease (post-partum cardiomyopathy) and bringing awareness/support to other women.
You're already an amazing ambassador, Laurel. Good luck with your new adventure!
Post a Comment