Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Heart

It's no coincidence that Audrey was born in February. God doesn't do coincidences. When Dr. Crone wanted to induce me early in January 2010 I didn't feel ready. I asked him to wait. Other pregnant friends told me I was crazy, that they'd do anything to have their babies out. It just didn't feel right for me, plus, Audrey's quilt had not arrived and her bed skirt had not been made, and you can't have a baby at home without bedding, right?

I wonder now what would have happened if I'd had Audrey on January 19 of last year. Would I have a Capricorn instead of an Aquarius? Would I be wearing a garnet band instead of an amethyst (a push present from Graham)? Would we have diagnosed my PPCM (peripartum cardiomyopathy)? Would I have had a regular delivery of a 7 lb 10 oz baby rather than a Cesarean section of an 8.5 lb baby? Would my heart have even survived a regular delivery?
Although we could ponder these things, we don't. We know God had a plan for our little family and last February played out according to His will.
I'm so blessed to be here today with my little one year old munchkin. I'm grateful that Graham does not have to find a sitter for our one-week old child so that he can spend Valentine's day in a hospital bed with me.

I don't question God's timing either. February is heart month. There was no better time for her to have been born. As most of my friends and family know, I've become a bigger and bigger advocate for PPCM research as well as heart health awareness and disease prevention over the past year. Many of you walked and contributed to my heart walk team and some even joined us for the walk. I'm feeling more and more called in this direction in each passing month.

On February 3 (Audrey's first birthday), I was honored to be included at the Georgia State Capitol for the Go Red for Women heart resolution. We were honored on the senate floor as a way to raise awareness for the heart related illnesses that kill more women each year than any other disease.
Later that afternoon I spoke to the women of my company on heart health at our Go Red for Women celebration. Again, I don't believe in coincidences, and know that God had His hand in this. It was a moving day for me to celebrate my baby's first birthday, as well as my own recovery.
February 9th and 10th came and went last week as somewhat solemn days for me. February 9th was the day I went back into the hospital and February 10th was the day I was diagnosed with heart failure due to PPCM. I thought I would be happy to celebrate a year of health, but I was sad remembering the previous year and the scare we all went through.

Today, February 14, 2011 I feel like celebrating. I'm healthy, Audrey's healthy, and we are a very happy family. I suggested to Graham that we have a Valentine's "anniversary" date at the Northside cafeteria, but he declined. :)

1 comment:

Ellen said...

What a wonderful blog! We're so glad that you were diagnosed and are in good health today.