Tuesday, August 3, 2010

6 Months! Part One

Baby Audrey is 6 months old today.  Happy half birthday Audrey!
This post will be in 2 parts.  We don't go to the doctor until Thursday, so I will update you on her stats then.  I have a hunch she's grown up more than she's grown out.  My guess is 16 pounds.

Each day with her gets better and better.  She has become very playful and loves to smile.  We've even started to see her shy side.  Most of the time she's talking like crazy.  Like her mother and grandmother, she's never met a stranger.

Her new tricks include getting up on all fours and rocking.  She will be crawling very soon.  In the meantime she just rolls across the floor to get where she wants.  She likes to stand also and take steps, but she has absolutely no desire to sit up on her own.  Graham is confident she will walk before she can sit up by herself.

We've started on rice cereal (last week at the beach).  That led to our next food introduction: prunes.  She's doing pretty well with the solids.  We are at one [mini] solid meal a day right now.


She's mastered her exersaucer and knows how to make the duck quack, globe spin, and wheels turn.  She loves her toes.  She can suck on all 5 at one time, but is partial to the big one.  She struggled with her paci for a while.  She liked to take it out, turn it around and stick it back in.  She became easily frustrated when she couldn't figure out how to get it back in properly.  Today on her six month birthday she figured out how to get it back in the right way.  Let's write that one in the baby book.


Kicking is another new favorite.  OMG does this child loves to kick.  Poor Huddy. If he's crazy enough to lay next to her when she's playing, she'll turn sideways and start kicking him.  He's always very patient with her. That's a good thing because she is also a fan of pulling hair.  I'm sure she'll discover his before we know it.

Audrey sleeps with her legs tucked under and her butt in the air.  It's the cutest dang thing.  Sleeping through the night is still an occasional event.

Daycare starts tomorrow for her when Graham goes back to work.  Cross your fingers and say a little prayer for the lady keeping her.  Audrey is a great baby and I know she'll be great for the day care provider.

Six months later I'm doing well and feeling good.  I have a big heart check-up coming up soon, but anticipate good results.  Although I feel great, but am still limited by the lack of energy.  My bp is so low that I stay wiped out.  My medication was reduced a couple of months ago to the lowest possible dosages, so hopefully I will be off of them sooner rather than later.  All of my pregnancy weight is gone, but I'm not even close to fitting into my old clothes.  I've got lots of new curves, but I choose to see them as a badge of honor.  I am trying to convince people that I store breast milk in my butt.

Speaking of breastfeeding, I've decided to keep going.  Stop reading right here if that's TMI.  It's good for me and even better for her, so why stop.  Did I mention its free and formula is not?  My goal was 6 months, but I can't think of a good reason to stop.  I'm sure I'll know when the time is right to quit.  I'm trying to reduce the number of changes to her routine.  I think introducing solids and starting day care are plenty for her (and me) to handle right now.

If you stop by our house you'll notice it's messier than ever.  I'm never on time to work anymore (or anywhere else for that matter).  Staying home a few extra minutes to roll around on the play mat with Audrey is a great excuse.  The dishes will wait and the work will be there tomorrow.  Six months flew by and I don't want to miss a second of watching Miss Audrey Anne grow up. 

Come back tomorrow an I'll post pictures.

2 comments:

Rachel and Kevin Curtiss said...

Good for you for still breastfeeding! Our mini-goal is 6 months, too. It's a very big job, and you should be very proud of yourself!

Unknown said...

You can't get these moments back so treasure every one of them. She's so darn cute!