Tuesday, April 27, 2010

First Day of School



I went back to work last Wednesday, 11 weeks after having Audrey. It
was like the first day of school. I was sad the summer (maternity leave) was over, but excited to see my friends (co-workers). I made my lunch (packed the diaper bag, bottles, and pump) and packed my book bag (laptop bag) the night before. Wednesday morning I got ready and went through my routine just as I'd planned it in my head. I cut off the tags of my new outfit and put it on after I was positive there was no chance of getting spit up or tinkle on it.

I managed to get Audrey and myself ready and out of the house by 8. I even ate breakfast and put on makeup (things I never did at home before she was born). Mom and Dad were waiting and ready at their house. It was a flash back to the first day riding the bus. They were looking out the window at us as we pulled up. I'm a little surprised Mom didn't snap a picture (she did photograph my first day
of work at Shaw as well as Audrey's first shot and trip to the grocery store). They whisked Aud out of the car and into their house before I had the chance to have a dramatic moment or big goodbye.

I officially got no work done the first day back (kind of like
syllabus day in high school). I spent way too much of day dealing with HRish stuff and the rest of my time updating everyone on my precious little girl and my much improved health. I only called Mom twice to check on Audrey.

The rest of my 3-day week went well, but I got more and more tired each day. I forgot bottles one day and had to make an emergency run to
Babies 'R Us but otherwise did great! Friday night I fell asleep feeding Audrey before our guests left our house. I think they understand.

For me, returning to work was something I dreaded for 9 months + 11 weeks that turned out to be not a big deal at all!

No comments: