Thursday, February 11, 2010

Home Sweet Home


Sorry if you get this twice. This is from an e-mail I sent to some family and friends earlier today.


Hi All,First of all, thanks for all of the prayers and sweet messages. Sorry I couldn't take or respond to most of emails, texts, and phone calls. My internet and phone did not get service in our hospital room. Now that I'm home, I'm just trying to rest and it might be a while before I get caught up!


Here is an attempt at the short version of what happened:


I've had a problem with shortness of breath and swelling throughout my pregnancy. It got worse after I delivered, but was told that's how some people react to pregnancy or a a c-section. A couple days after Audrey's birth, I received 2 blood transfusions. Because of the pregnancy, major surgery, and blood transfusions every doctor and nurse told me what I was experiencing was normal.


When I got home, it got worse. My legs and feet got bigger and I could hardly stand up or sit down without being out of breath. I woke up Tuesday morning barely able to breathe and I could hear a bubbling in my chest. I went to see my doctor that afternoon and he sent us straight back to Northside. My blood pressure was higher than it's ever been. I also have a history of blood clots and he was worried that I had a pulmonary embolism. They ran all kinds of tests from an ultrasound of the major veins in my legs, CT scan of my chest, blood work etc. They ruled out the pulmonary embolism and started suspecting pre-eclampsia, which can occur after pregnancy as well as during. They also confirmed I had fluid around my lungs and heart.


At some point a cardiologist was consulted and an ECHO cardiogram (ultrasound of heart) was ordered. Long LONG story short, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and pre-eclampsia. My heart was only working at about 35% capacity and was not able to get rid of all of the extra fluid I was holding.


The good news is that all is treatable by medicine and monitoring. I spent a couple of days at Northside getting my blood pressure down, removing extra fluid (11 pounds worth!!), and raising my blood-oxygen level. I'm taking several different medicines to strengthen my heart. The recovery will be slow, but they said most pre/post-natal women make full recoveries with no lasting heart damage.


The whole situation was very very scary. It's amazing how different our lives already are now that we have a little one to think of and put first. It broke my heart to send Audrey and Graham home the first night. None of us were prepared to be separated so soon, but the hospital was not a good environment for all 3 of us. Graham is such a good father and he's grerat with Audrey. I never had to worry. My parents and sisters have been wonderful to help out so that Graham always had help and that I was never alone for long.


I'm so happy to be home and we are focusing on just being a family and spending time together. Thanks again for all of the prayers, calls, and emails. I will try to catch up with everyone just as soon as I can. I think I hear a crying baby...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! Literally and figuratively! Will be sending love and prayers.

Lisa