At what age are we too old to cry "I want my Mommy"? And at what age are we too old for our mommies to actually come to our rescue? I can tell you that 29 is not too old.
Today, Mom had to come bail me out at the fedEx mail facility in Dekalb county. I had ordered a birthday gift for Graham and had it sent to my parents house in care of my parents. Long LONG LOOOOOOONG story short, my ID and address did not match the name on my package (which was my maiden name and parents address) so they would not let me sign for it and pick it up.
Since I was already having a terrible horrible no good very bad day and nearing the 45 minute mark of my hour lunch break I almost immediately teared up. This gift has been a nightmare. Graham's original gift of opening day tickets to the Gwinnett Braves was derailed by a varsity game of his own. I really wanted to be EXTRA creative on this gift. It originally should have shipped to our house 2 weeks ago, but I never got it. I had the company send the gift again, this time to Mom and Dad's house. Little did I know that it was going to be sent with a signature only designation while they were at the beach.
Fighting back the tears, I calmly asked the lady what was I to do. The very nasty lady told me that my crying would not change the situation and she could simply not give me the package. Someone with an ID at that address would have to pick it up or I'd have to contact the person who shipped it and get them to update their shipping profile (ummm, have you ever ordered anything online??? that's like finding a needle in a haystack). As I pulled out the cell phone to CALL MY MOMMA, she pointed and read the "NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED" sign aloud to me. I went outside, and called home. No answer. I looked at the clock: 1:00. It's been an hour since I left the office. Crap. I called Mom's cell phone. When she finally answered I burst into tears big time. I'm surprised she understood me...I was in total meltdown mode.
A very long 20 minutes later Mom was there to sign for my package. Apparently no speed limit applies to the lady with 29-year old daughter having a meltdown. Mom even helped me give the mean fedEx lady a very mean and disapproving look.
Mom and I went to lunch at Applebee's afterwards. It wasn't the first time in my adult life that Mom has had to take me to a restaurant to simmer down after a a near meltdown. A very specific incident in Dalton comes to mind, which coincidentally was followed by Applebee's :) Boy did I need my momma that day. Thank you Mom for all of the times you come to my rescue!
So, tomorrow I'm taking a mental health day. The doggies need their vaccines (we do NOT call them shots in the animal health industry) and Darbie and I are going to take in some culture, maybe even some shopping. I think it's deserved!! I'll be buying my momma a gift ;)
Anyone else still call their Mom to the rescue?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Girl, you know I do. Matter of fact, she's on her way into town right now to stay with me this weekend. You're never to old to need your momma!!!
Mom is a superhero! And we did take in some culture on your Mental Health Day. We are now quite versed on the Terracotta Army of the First Emperor! Seriously, I'm glad you got those tickets so I can enjoy using them tonight. :) Happy early birthday, Graham!
Post a Comment