Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Life at 8 Weeks

Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but
let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is. - Maxim Gorky
I can't believe my sweet girl is 8 weeks old today. Just over two months ago I was in the hospital waiting for my life to change. And boy did it change! Things like cleaning the house, sleeping, working out, and showering are no longer important. My thank you notes will get written at some point. Birth announcements will hopefully go out before she's driving. I will eventually go back to work. For now though, those tasks have been replaced by rocking, taking walks, listening to little laughs, just holding and looking at her, and spending time sharing her with family and friends.


As poetic as it sounds, we also spend our fair share of time changing diapers, folding onesies, cleaning up spit-up, looking for pacifiers, and eating in shifts. I can't speak for Graham, but it's the happiest I've ever been. I love her so so much.
Our big girl has gone through a growth spurt. We've packed away most of the newborn clothes and diapers. The only thing not growing is her hair! It's sadly falling out and she has a bit of a baby mullet.

Her neck is so strong and she can pretty much hold her head up, although it still bobbles some. She swipes and kicks at her toys. She loves her chimes and toys on her toybar in the infant carrier. She can keep herself pretty entertained that way. She likes her activity mats, but only for a few minutes.
This week she started smiling and laughing. It's not the same as her big dimpled gassy smile. It's sweet and subtle. We see it more each day, but I haven't gotten a picture yet. Her laugh is so cute. It's a little bit like a monkey. Instead of "Oh ahh ahh ee ee" it's just "Oh ahh ahh." She laughs the most when she's on her activity mat and today she laughed when I made funny faces.

Her disposition is much like Graham's. You can take her anywhere and she's happy just to be with you. She's like me and gets overwhelmed and frustrated easily around a big group of people. She's independent like Graham and wants to do it all by herself. She's dramatic like me. I wish I could capture all of her facial expressions, sighs, and hand gestures.
She looks just like her daddy when she sleeps. Well, she looks like her daddy when she's awake too. About all she has from me is an enormous widow's peak and tiny feet.

Life is going well for us. We appreciate the little things more, complain a little less. No news on the health front. I had my follow-up echo this week and have to meet with the cardiologist next week to discuss the results. We are looking forward to celebrating Audrey's first Easter on Sunday and having Graham home for spring break next week.

No comments: