Saturday, October 3, 2009

Calling all Moms!

I'm clueless about baby stuff. I nearly had an anxiety attack the first time I looked. A friend is giving me a mommy boot camp today at Babies 'R Us, so that will hopefully help In the mean time, can you please respond and let me know your thoughts on any or all of these questions?

1) What's your opinion on strollers? Brand, type (travel system vs. others), etc.

2) What's the one thing you couldn't live without that surprised you?

3) What's the one thing you could live without that surprised you?

4) What's worth the splurge?

5) What isn't worth the splurge?

It would be great if you could answer in the form of a comment to this post so that others can use your advice. You can comment, comment anonymously, or email me at laurelktucker@gmail.com. Thank you for your opinion!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't live without wipe warmer!

Anonymous said...

Agree with wiper warmer!

The Sleep Sheep is a MUST, and make sure you get the travel sleep sheep too.

Diaper champ/genie is NOT a must. We use it, but not a big deal.

#1 Must have...Swaddle Me. Between sleep sheep and swaddle me, Alaina has slept through the night since 5 or 6 weeks old.

Adam

Laurel Tucker said...

What is a sleep sheep?

Do you like diaper champ or diaper genie?

Anonymous said...

Sleep sheep is a stuffed sheep with a sound machine built into it. Instant calming affect.

Diaper Champ is just a glorified trash can. It would be just as easy to dispose of diapers in a grocery bag and just throw it away the next time you go downstairs.

a

Hillary Hull said...

We love the diaper champ - no smells and you can use regular trash bags (even grocery bags). You don't have to waste money on diaper genie cartridge refills. COULD NOT live without the book Babywise and the Moms on Call seminar online at www.momsoncall.com. I LIVE BY IT - and so did several of my friends who ALL have sleeping through the night babies by 6-8 weeks. Also - can't live without the Miracle Blanket or the SwaddleMe - both are great swaddles we used every night and nap for the first 2-3 months. I never used a wipe warmer so I don't know about that... I'm sure it's nice though. We could live without the dumb headrest they get you to buy that goes inside the car seat... used it for a week then took it out. We LOVE the Chico Cortina travel system. THe stroller seat folds all the way back and the car seat is THE MOST sturdy one you will find... it has all the higest safety ratings. Bad note about it - it's heavy. But my arm muscles have gotten stronger from it so it's not so terrible :) Wait til it's like 15% off at BRU -they send out coupons lots... I'll be on the lookout for one in the next few months for ya.

Ellen said...

Call me sometime and we can have a talk. With two kids and another on the way, I've realized that there is a lot that I could have lived without. Some items that I couldn't live without are:
wipe warmer
swaddle me blankets
Dr Brown bottles
stroller/car seat combos
baby gowns (very easy in the middle of the night)

live without:
bottle warmers (if you breastfeed)

worth the splurge:
baby bijorn- I used it more with Amelia but go ahead and register. You only get to do that once.

Laurel Tucker said...

What is the deal with this wipe warmer? Everyone seems to swear by it!

I was just told not to get a high chair/grocery cart cover. I am disappointed because I thought that was a brilliant idea!

We are going to have to go with some diaper system to keep the dogs out.

Hill, I bought your Baby Wise book right after Sarah's shower!

Whitney said...

I'll have to disagree with everyone on the wipe warmer. I have heard that if your baby gets used to warm wipes, then they don't like cold wipes when you are out & about without your wipe warmer. So, K doesn't know that wipes could be warm and has never minded cold wipes - just my backwards opinion! :) I agree with Hill on the Baby Wise & Moms on Call since I'm the one that gave her that advice. :) And Swaddle Me is my fav swaddle blanket for newborns then once they start to get out of that, the Miracle Blanket was the best swaddle for night-time. And once you check out Moms On Call, you will find that a white noise machine & humidifier are MUSTS.

Whitney said...

We LOVE our grocery cart cover - pink toile! :) K eats the straps & stuff while we're shopping so I'd much rather her be chewing on our stuff than the random store cart. We also got a booster seat as a gift that we really like to use at restaurants and it's great for traveling too. It's Fisher Price and has toys that snap on to the top of the tray and keeps K so much more entertained than smaller toys - so we can enjoy our dinner too. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2861762#
Btw - feel free to check out Hill's registry at BRUs since it is pretty much what I use too.

Anonymous said...

The little girl I used to nanny for had a wipe warmer and I just got one for a friend who just had a baby. I hear they are a must have, and since more often than not you will be changing at home, especially at first, when they don't know what the heck is going on(and cold wipes can be a shock!), it may be worth it. :)

Ellen said...

You also need a boppy and a fisher price aquarium for the crib!

BTW- My vote is for the diaper champ.

Hailey said...

Found you through Ellen's blog.
I am a sucker for all things baby! I love giving advice on baby products.

1. Wipe warmer- big NO! It dried my wipes out and it wasn't that serious of a situation to use a cold wipe.

2. I am a babywearing mama. There's nothing like wearing your sweet babe. My all time favorite is my HotSling. The Baby K'Tan run in a close second. Most definitely get a Baby Bjorn too. Hint: You can never have enough slings/wraps/backpacks/carriers.

3. Travel systems- Not a big fan. This is what I bought with my first. I never even used the carseat and stroller together. My advice? Buy a carseat {Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 is fabulous} and then buy a great compact jogger stroller that you can use all of the time. {Phil&Ted's, Bumbleride, Quinny are all fabulous.} If I had a million dollars to spend on baby stuff, I would totally go for the Orbit. http://www.orbitbaby.com/products/ois.html OMG, it is awesome. Joovy and Maclaren are also awesome for umbrella type strollers. Can you tell that I have a love affair with strollers? Haha!

4. The Diaper Genie was a big waste. I would always run out of the plastic inserts that held the diapers so I ended up just used plastic grocery bags. I still use plastic bags for Emma's diapers and I just take them out to the trash. It is cheaper and easier. I wish I had cloth diapered Emma. Being a SAHM it would have been so nice and easy. However, Emma is almost 13 months old. Caroline was potty trained at 21 months so I am hoping for about the same with Emma. I don't think I want to spend loads of money on cloth diapers for Emma to use just a few more months. Look into cloth diapering. FuzziBunz are just one of the many diapering companies to check out.

5. Swaddling blankets/Miracle Blanket- Great investment! Emma was a preemie and absolutely LOVED being swaddled. Caroline hated it so I never used these with her.

6. Bumbo seat- Swear by it. Love it. Caroline used it until she was two. I'm.not.kidding. They now make a cool little tray that snaps onto the front of it so it is like a booster chair.

7. Pipsqueaks- http://www.comfykid.com/cgi-bin/ck-shop.cgi?func=show_style&style_code=PI233TRI I had these with Caroline and Emma loved them too. You will need these for when baby is walking. They squeak when the baby steps on the shoe. Hence, positive reinforcement for walking. Yayy!

8. Zooni mop top hats- They are my favorite. You can never have too many hats, right? Emma had the Kate's Moss hat last year. This year I think we are going to do the Pretty n' Pink and the Firecracker. Check them out. They are adorable!

9. Sassy Baby Food Nursers- These are AWESOME! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3755987
Makes transition to baby food easier. Makes traveling with a baby food fed baby super easy!

I don't want to overwhelm you, so I will stop there. Can't wait to see what you choose!

Anonymous said...

1) Take the nose sucker they give you at the hospital, you will never get a better one
2) Make sure to get plenty of size 2 and 3 diapers
3) Pampers are better than huggies in our opinion
4) baby swing the bathroom allows for a great shower and good nap time for the little one.
5) Dont get discouraged if he/she is pooping much at first
6) Dont get her/him in a habit of being rocked. We didn't and she is so easy to lay down for sleep.
7) Even if you were not planning on having your mom stay to help...make sure she is in town. Taking care of all the mother and baby stuff is not easy for a new dad
8) We moved her from in our bedroom to her own with monitor at around 2 mths
9) We had good luck with the vented PLaytex bottles
Get some plastic backed bibs...if they drool alot it will soak through and keep him/her wet
10) Bumbo chairs are awesome
11) We got a monkey jumpy seat that she adores
12) go ahead and get multiple bases for the infant seat...it seems you never have enough
13) Get plenty of carry with you wipes
14) Diaper genie isnt necessary and sucks
15) Similac advanced in the blue container worked well for us as a suplemental formula and full time formula
16) Tell dad to be patient...its exciting but scary