Sunday, May 15, 2011

Scare

The Tuckers and Krauths had a little Audrey scare yesterday. Niecie and Pop (my parents) were babysitting while I was hosting a baby shower and Graham was playing golf with friends. Mom went to get Audrey up from a nap and she'd vomited her lunch and was broken out in hives.

They took her to an all hours clinic less than a mile away, but the clinic immediately referred them to the ER. The clinic called ahead and was waiting when Audrey got there. They took her straight back and administered a breathing treatment (praise the Lord her breathing was okay), an oral steroid, and a shot of epinephrine. The epi stopped the reaction, but didn't help with the swelling. This is what my poor baby looked like when I got to her (apparently after she was looking better).


Fortunately Graham was able to get there quickly. After I finally answered the phone (which was per Emily Post in my purse tucked away at the shower), they had begun treatment. By the time I got to Snellville she and her Daddy were on the way home.

For lunch Mom and Dad had given her a peanut butter sandwich, which she did not eat --she just chewed and spit out. They also gave her a mixed fruit cup that contained pineapple. She's eaten both of these things before with no reaction.

I'm grateful she was with her grandparents and it was a weekend. I don't know what would have happened if she'd been with a babysitter, church nursery, daycare, etc.

We are anxiously awaiting Monday morning when we can make an appointment for allergy testing. I'm really praying she's not allergic to peanuts. Pineapple is easy to avoid, but peanut butter is something that's much harder prevent her from coming in contact with.

Today she looks much better, but is still splotchy with some swelling on her face. She was a trooper through it all and never seemed to feel bad. The epinephrine made her hyper, so she was pretty cute despite looking awful.

We tried to get her to the doctor today, but they said we had to wait until tomorrow since she's already been diagnosed and isn't "sick".

I'll keep you posted. The Krauths and Tuckers have been on lots of new health "adventures" in the past two years. We'll just treat this as another adventure and learn to adjust and cope.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

How scary. I am so glad she is ok and hoping that you get good news at the doctor office!

Laurel Tucker said...

Thanks Nicole...it looks like peanuts. We are disappointed and hate that life won't be as easy for her, but at least we found out early.

Michelle said...

Your daughter is adorable! And thank goodness she is ok after that reaction. Peanut allergies are nothing to mess with - thankfully you have a solid diagnosis.