Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The delivery

Welcome to the world Peyton David Tucker!

We anticipated the arrival for months (18 in pregnancy math).  I begged and pleaded with the doctor for mercy in June and July (it was 105 degrees -also pregnancy math), but no luck.  July 30th was the decided day for the big eviction.  Then, just like his father, he decided to show up early!

My water broke at 7 am on July 29th just as Graham was walking out the door to his first day back at school.  After discussing whether or not this was for real for what seemed like 20 minutes, we called the hospital and they told us it was for real and to head in.  I took a shower while Graham took my 25 bags to the car and then broke the news to Audrey... Mommy/Audrey day was going to be postponed because Beep Beep decided to come a day early.  She was not happy...AT ALL.  Nana (Carolyn) came over and picked up a fuming Audrey and Graham and I headed off to Northside.  In rush hour.  On 285.  All of my third trimester jokes about having the baby on 285 were coming back to haunt me.

Fortunately, we got to the hospital in about an hour and I was wheeled in.  Mind you, I am sitting on a beach towel and a doggy pee pad while wearing one of Audrey's pull ups, but still was made to sit at the front desk and "check in".  Humiliating while thrilling at the same time. They quickly got us to a labor and delivery pre-op room where the nurse told me they were going "to try to squeeze me in."  Not sure what that meant, but they know my water broke, right?  Eventually they got me scheduled for 12:30.

Having a "go" time just made Daddy and me that much more anxious.  This did not go so well last time.  Between the failed induction, mild epidural, c-section, blood transfusions, c.diff, and congestive heart failure, we were hoping for the best but expecting the worst.  Mom and Whitney showed up and they took my mind off of things for a few minutes.  My Ob called me to wish me well and let me know his partner would be doing the surgery.  Pretty soon my cardiologist and his NP came by to check on me and bless the surgery.  The OB and anesthesiologist showed up around the same time and they all huddled in the hall discussing how best to handle my history.  More nerves.

Getting the epidural this time was more memorable, but I'm grateful because it was 100% more effective.  Graham may need to see a hand surgeon after all of that!  Pretty soon, Graham was in scrubs and we were being wheeled down the hall.  Graham and I were both white.  I almost lost it when I saw the poor lonely chair at the end of the hallway where he was going to have to wait while they moved me into the operating room.  Everyone was as nice, calm, and reassuring as they could be while I was prepped, but it's nothing like having your husband there holding your hand.  I prayed neither one of us passed out before the delivery!

Once Graham was in the room I was just plain scared.  I knew it was time.  I kept whispering to Graham how scared I was and he kept telling me I'd be okay.  One of the nurses had already gotten juice and a stool for Graham (while he was out of the room) because I was so afraid he'd pass out.  The sheet went up and I thought I would be the one to pass out. Everyone in the room was amazing.  They told us exactly what they were doing and what I should expect to feel.  The anesthesia tech was right next to my head the whole time reassuring us that things were going well.

In the midst of the chaos, the strangest sound -- like a cat in a fight with a bird -- only to realize it was our son being born.  Graham and I looked at each other the second we both realized what it was and it's a snapshot of his face forever engraved it my mind.  With those precious little squeals I could feel most of the selfish anxiety about MY health and MY well being drain from my body.  I could only think, wow, we have a son and what a set of lungs.

Graham went into Dad mode and was going back and forth between where the baby was and where I was taking pictures and bringing them back for me to see.  I knew it was only minutes before I could hold him in my arms.

Post op was kind of a blur, but at least I was awake.  We took a lot of pictures, and I finally got to hold my little guy.  I wish I had better memories of that time like I did with Audrey. I was shocked he only weighed 8 pounds 9 ounces.  If you had seen me, you'd have known I was for sure pregnant with a 4th grader.  He beat his sister by an ounce, so at least he has some bragging rights.

Speaking of sweet Audrey, she was standing and waving at the window as we wheeled by on the way up to our room. That's a snapshot I also have permanently...her smiling and waving, holding the bear she made him like the proudest girl in the world.

The rest of our stay at Northside was filled with ups and downs with minor tests on both Peyton and me.  He lost over 7% of his birth weight in the first 48 hours.  The circumcision was no fun.  I'm sure he felt worse than I did, but I felt pretty crummy compared to Audrey's birth.  I had a couple weird results on heart tests, but was cleared through follow up tests.  We stayed an extra day just to be safe and were able to come home on Saturday.

Seven days later, I feel pretty confident saying I avoided a PPCM relapse.  I know the window of onset has not closed, but I am confident that I will only get better.

I'm a little more emotional now about what I have gone through and put our family through.  We played the odds and gambled on statistics and for now it seems like we've won.  We now have two precious miracle babies that will be raised by two loving parents.  Now, if we can just quit spoiling them!




No comments: