Last week we went to Grayton Beach with Graham's family. His grandmother is gracious enough to provide the trip to her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren year after year.
The trip is especially sweet for me because it reminds me of going to Mexico Beach with Snooks and Dee Daddy for the first 15 years of my life. We rented the same house every year. When we'd get there, we'd quickly run around the house pointing out things that had changed since the previous year. As we outgrew the bedrooms, Dad fashioned a tarp into a temporary wall and created a private space for Mary Margaret and me in the sun room. We called it our "apartment" and would spend the other 51 weeks of the year talking about how we were going to arrange it and decorate it the next year.
For entertainment, we put on a Luau. Snooks and Dee Daddy bought us all hula outfits in Hawaii and we would resurrect them each summer for our performance. When Whitney came along I fashioned a brown paper Piggly Wiggly bag into a skirt so she wouldn't be left out. Jenny (my oldest cousin) would choreograph our routines and we'd hold rehearsals throughout the week (usually until I got mad that she was bossing me around and walk out -- ha ha, you know I love you Jen).
The grownups took it very seriously. They wore their Hawaiian dresses, leis, and put tropical flowers behind their ears. They applauded loudly and tried to suppress their giggles as they cheered us on. Once it was over, we'd start planning the next one.
To this day, I can't be with my cousins without discussing a beach memory: the leather factory, the shell shack, Tim Tom (Joe Jack etc.), Rat Tail, the "drowning" at Toucans, el Governor, the O.J. chase, the Fun Island and the sand bar, the Shell Shack, American Anthem, Space Camp, Little House on the Prairie, "I Love Bread", the 9 o'clock rule, "No more 9 o'clock rule!"
I can remember everything about that house; probably more than the house I grew up in...the the sound of the screen door in the carport slamming, the feel of the vinyl on the rattan sofa on the sun porch, spying through the peep hole on the staircase, the curve of the sand path from the house to the beach (could trek it with my eyes closed), climbing the half wall when we'd double lock the bathroom, the "graffiti" on the walls in Darbie and Jenny's room, the blazing heat in Mom and Dad's room and the fan they'd bring, I can even remember things like how the dishes were arranged in the cabinets.
There were so many years and so many memories at the Hide-a-way in Mexico Beach. I get just as excited going to the beach with the Taylors/Millers because I get to watch (and be part of) memories in the making. After only 4 years of becoming part of the trip, I can already take part in "remember the year that... ... happened?" I love it. Audrey will too.
I wish I'd thanked Snooks and Dee Daddy more. I am sure just being part of the fun we had together was plenty thanks for them, but I still wish I'd taken the time to tell them more.
Graham just asked me what I was typing. I explained that I started out writing about our Grayton trip and moved into an entire nostalgic post about Mexico beach. His response was, "oh, this will be one of your cheesier posts." So be it :)
2010 Beach Memories:

4 comments:
This was fun to read, but then it made me cry----lots of good memories.
Best cheesy post ever! Family traditions make the best memories :-)
I usually make fun of your cheesy posts, but not this one. I miss Mexico Beach!! Love the new picture of Audrey at the top of the blog.
La-
I loved this and I am like your mom, I laughed and then cried thinking about it! Wasn't Mexico Beach the BEST?!!!
Yesterday, mom and I were at Jo Ann's and I saw a grass skirt on the clearance rack and immediately said, "Clayton and Audrey need a luau outfit!!!!" Too bad it was an adult size but don't think my wheels aren't turning on that one. Just wait until they are walking...I will have them choregraphed in no time flat. Walk like an Egyptian....
I had forgotten about the peep hole...that was so cool. And the creak of the stairs. Everyone was so afraid we were going to kill ourselves on those stairs. I just rented Space Camp on netflix and I can still recite EVERY word. So could Snooks, and everyone else after watching it 3x a day.
I have to correct one thing...it was the 8:00 rule. Mom would have loved it to have been as late as 9:00. We launched such a campaign of protest that you would have thought we were back in the 60s sitting at a lunch counter. My favorite was the "No more 8:00 rule!!!" paper taped to the milk carton in the fridge. I think we got our point across. We should work for the labor union...they need us.
I am so excited to meet Audrey and how appropriate...at the beach! I just hate that we all cannot be there at the same time this year but next year, maybe it will work out better. The memories continue....See you ALL soon! XOXO.
Love,
Jenny
PS- I think we need an official Mexico Beach Memoir book...maybe when I finish the big "D" I will get started on that one!
Post a Comment